Slider

100 Books Over 2 Years

Saturday 13 January 2018




It doesn't sound so hard when you say 100 books over 2 years, does it?!

For Christmas this year, my parents gave me this really cool scratch off bucket list with 100 books on it, ranging from classics to modern literature that basically, everyone needs to read.

I've set myself the challenge of completing this within two years, which sounds easy but when you realise there's 104 weeks in two years which pretty much means a week on each book, it starts to sound a lot harder! I feel like Victor Hugo's Les Mis is going to take me at least six months to get through, have you seen the size of that thing?! It literally looks like a house brick and while I might love the musical the book is an entire different kettle of fish!

Anyway, I digress. I've decided to try and do this for a number of different reasons, the first being that I've just got out of the habit of reading. I was one of those kids that could read by the age of four or five, babbling away to anyone who would listen about my favourite book named "A Million Chameleons" (or Chimmies Millies as I used to call it) and those amazing Rainbow Magic books we all loved at that age. I loved them so much I painted the fairies in a fruit bowl still life in a Year 3 art class...

My point is that I loved books. And then when I got to GCSE English Literature, I kind of fell out of love with them. Seriously, GCSE Lit is enough to make anyone dislike reading. To Kill A Mockingbird is on this list and I'm really not looking forward to having to pick that book up again because I remember how much I hated studying it. I'm still not a fan of classics, one thing an English Lit degree has taught me so far is that 19th century classics are not my thing. Dickens especially. Give me a Jane Austen and I'll devour it but Dickens? No thank you. But at the same time, having a wide range of literary knowledge is so important, not just if you're doing an English Lit degree.  I just need to get myself back into the habit of reading and reading properly so hopefully this will do it for me!!

So one of my goals this year is one book a week every week this entire year and hopefully I will have finished half the list by the end of the year. Wish me luck, anyway!!

What sort of books do you like reading?

Em xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan